The signs definitely point toward something big at the upcoming D23 Expo, a big convention for Disney-philes set for September 10-13 in scenic Anaheim, CA, near the Mouse House West.
1. Orlando Sci-Fi Examiner Larraine Stacy posted on August 18 that the D23 Expo's official site lists George Lucas as a guest. I've looked around the site (http://d23.disney.go.com/expo
) and didn't see any announcement about that. He's not listed as a keynote speaker or as a guest at any of the presentations. However, he could be coming in to collect a Legends of Disney award or something. We'll see.
2. TFN posted on August 18 that 501st members will be at the convention, including "a squadron of stormtroopers" on Saturday, September 12.
3. The D23 Expo site noted that Jay Rasulo, the chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, will deliver an address on Saturday, September 12. Specifically, "Rasulo will share some 'behind-the-magic' details as he pulls the back the curtain on several new projects--including the 12-acre Cars Land that's set to open at Disney's California Adventure in 2012."http://d23.disney.go.com/expo/pavilions/waltdisneyparksandresorts.html
4. TFN posted recently a tip from a fan who gleaned some info from a Disney Cast Member while visiting Disney World. The Disney employee said that Star Tours will close soon for a revamp and re-open in 2011.
5. Rumors were posted in May that new footage for the ride was being shot in Hollywood.
Club Jade entertained the possibility that they're going to announce Celebration V going to Orlando, but unless it's going to be held at a Disney park itself, why at D23? And why Orlando when D23 is in Anaheim
? (Another rumored site for CV, by the way.)
Nah, it's too much buildup for a convention announcement that only 30,000 SW geeks care about. It's also too much buildup for any kind of announcement about Disney Star Wars Weekends 2010 and it's way too early...they never announce anything until January or February.
If Rasulo is there to talk about new projects at the parks the same day there just happens to be a bunch of 501st guys scheduled to appear, and after all of these rumors that have been around for months, it points to one only thing...a formal announcement of Star Tours 2.0.