Get ready to play hooky and call in sick on 2/10/12, for that is the day TPM is unleashed in 3D!http://www.starwars.com/movies/episode-i/3dannouncedate/index.html#comments
The announcement didn't specify if this is the global release date or if it's just in North America.
Some observations and predictions:
1. I noticed on Twitter most of the bashing came from the lamestream media, Z-list "comedians," and various sheeple. Most of the real fans were happy about the announcement.
2. This falls into the same timeframe as the Special Editions in 1997, after the Christmas releases and before the new summer blockbusters.
3. Expect the lamestream media to completely underestimate box office and enthusiasm, just as it did in 1997.
4. I predict a short preview at Comic Con this summer (damn it, this means sitting all friggin' day in Hall Preparation H).
5. Trailer hits around Thanksgiving.
What about those "Original Two" purists, you must be asking? Well, they have cleverly pulled the National Lampoon shoot-the-puppy tactic by putting the word out that seeing ANH or TESB in 3D will depend on whether the other movies do well. They'll HAVE to see it, ha ha. Besides, I don't think they can resist the opportunity to go online and complain about the conversion.
I'm cooking up a piece for SWPAS on whether the stars are finally lining up for TPM. But Lucasfilm has get to work on shoring up some respect for the film. Like now.